There is a point every Memphis winter when you can’t uncover the root of the draft in your home. It could theoretically be originating from a window that isn’t shut or sealed well. Even the smallest of cracks can make homes unpleasant and frosty, hypothetically resulting in:
- Cold air escaping into your home
- Higher heating and cooling costs
As per the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your regular energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with appropriately sealed windows. To help limit spending and decrease drafty air from flowing into your home, it’s critical to be able to recognize where these window drafts might be originating from and why. Here are some helpful tips to find your Memphis home’s drafts and check for issues:
- Look for gaps and breaks in strange locations of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic hatches or just the normal windows with workable abilities and use a painless visual inspection.
- Examine to confirm that windows and doors are closed and latched.
- Guarantee the sealant or gasket near the operable portion of the window or door is correctly sealing.
- Inspect the installation by establishing if the draft is coming through the window or around the window, between the window and the harsh opening. A window will only perform as well as it is installed.
- Call a specialist from Pella Windows and Doors in Memphis to have them perform a home energy audit.
Once you’ve recognized where the draft or air leakage is originating from, the next step is to concentrate on the foundation of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the pros in Memphis a call at 901-401-9399 with any further questions or prospective replacement needs.